Personal injury lawyers handle a variety of cases, including car accidents, slip-and-fall accidents, workplace injuries, and more. If you have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
What is Personal Injury Law?
Personal injury law is the area of the legal system that provides compensation to people who have been harmed due to the negligence or wrongful actions of another person or entity. This can include physical injuries, emotional damages, and financial losses.
What is Negligence in Law?
Negligence is defined as a failure to use reasonable care, which results in harm to another person. It is the legal basis for many personal injury cases. To prove negligence, the plaintiff must show that the defendant had a duty of care to the plaintiff, breached that duty, and caused damages.
What Do Personal Injury Lawyers Do?
Personal injury lawyers help their clients receive compensation for the injuries and damages they have suffered due to someone else’s negligence. They do this by filing lawsuits or negotiating settlements on behalf of their clients.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
There are many different types of personal injury cases, but some of the most common include:
- Workers’ Compensation: Workers’ compensation includes any type of injury that occurs while you are working. This can consist of slips and falls, car accidents, or anything else that happens while you are on the job.
- Car Accidents: Car accidents happen every day. Whether it’s a fender bender or a major collision, car accidents can result in serious injuries, including whiplash, broken bones, and even fatalities.
- Trucking Accidents: Trucking accidents are different from other types of car accidents because they often involve large commercial trucks. These trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, which makes them much more dangerous than regular passenger vehicles.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Motorcycle accidents are often more serious than other types of car accidents because motorcycles offer little protection to riders. This can result in serious injuries, including road rash, broken bones, and even spinal cord injuries.
- Wrongful Death: Wrongful death occurs when someone is killed due to the negligence or wrongful actions of another person. This can include car accidents, medical malpractice, or anything else where the death was caused by another person’s negligence.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Slip and fall accidents occur when you slip and fall on someone else’s property. This can include a wet floor in a grocery store, an icy sidewalk, or anything else that causes you to fall and hurt yourself.
When to Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have been injured due to the negligence of another person, you may be wondering if you need to contact a personal injury lawyer. The answer is not always clear, but there are some instances where it is definitely in your best interest to seek legal counsel.
You should contact a personal injury lawyer if:
- You have been seriously injured and are facing a long road to recovery
- The other party involved in the accident is refusing to take responsibility for their actions
- You are having difficulty getting compensated by insurance companies
- You are unsure if you have a valid claim or what type of compensation you may be entitled to
- You want someone to handle the legal aspects of your case so that you can focus on your recovery
How Cummings & Lewis Can Help Your Personal Injury Case
If you or someone you love has been injured due to the negligence of another person, you may be entitled to compensation. The personal injury attorneys at Cummings & Lewis have extensive experience handling all types of personal injury cases, and we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a consultation.