This article was updated on 3/17/2022
If you’re debating when to hire a personal injury lawyer, make sure you don’t wait too long. There’s a statute of limitations with these kinds of cases, and you don’t want to miss out on deserved compensation because you waited. Choosing to hire a personal injury attorney can be the biggest and best step you’ll take toward getting your case heard and settled in a way that feels fair to you.
5 Signs You Should Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
Is it time you hired an attorney to help you with a personal injury case? Here are five important signs that help indicate when someone should hire a personal injury lawyer.
- Denied Claim: If the insurance company you’re working with is denying your claim, you may need an attorney to step in and negotiate for you. Hiring an attorney shows you’re serious and not backing down, which could make an insurer more likely to offer you a fair settlement.
- Employer Retaliation: If your case involves your employer, and you’re experiencing retaliation or a loss of compensation for missed work, you may need to hire a personal injury lawyer to ensure you’re receiving what you deserve.
- Defective Product: When a defective product injures you, you’ll want to seek compensation from the company that made the product, and an attorney can help.
- Permanent Disability: If you’re permanently or long-term disabled from an injury caused by the negligence of another party, a personal injury attorney can help you seek out a level of compensation that’s fair and just.
- Significant Injuries: The more serious the injury, the more compensation you may be entitled to. Don’t let an insurance company talk you out of what’s fair to you. A personal injury attorney can help reduce that risk.
The Importance of Having a Personal Injury Lawyer
It’s very important to know what to expect from a personal injury lawyer and choose one that will be best for your case. Experience and education are both worth noting, but they aren’t the only areas to consider. Also look for an attorney you feel comfortable with, because you may be spending a lot of time together.
Depending on the nature and length of your case, you could work with an attorney for weeks or months. You want that attorney to be someone you respect, understand, and can get along with while they fight for your fair and just compensation.
Also consider the attorney’s focus and manner. You want an attorney who will be aggressive in the courtroom, and who will push back against unfair settlements and lowball offers from an insurance company or other party to the case. Knowing when to hire a personal injury attorney is a big part of the equation, but knowing which attorney to hire also matters.
The more you’re clear on what to expect from a personal injury lawyer, the easier it will be for you to hire one you feel good about, and one who’s going to fight for all the compensation you deserve for your case.
Reach out to Cummings & Lewis today to learn more.