Accidents are one of the leading causes of deaths and permanent disability, and there are times when an accident is someone else’s mishandling. For example, someone has crashed their vehicle into yours. In such circumstances, the offender (or the person who is at fault) is liable to compensate the victim financially. Fighting litigations on your own is a task which an individual should not undertake unless they are qualified to do so. There are many reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer and eight questions to ask when finding the best attorney for your case.
Skills And Knowledge Of The Law
To obtain a fair settlement for the victim, understanding details of the law is significant. Victims may not hire a personal injury lawyer, which usually results in an insufficient settlement. Personal injury lawyers are well-versed with the law and the arguments that need to be put forth to benefit the client.
Probability Of Higher Compensation
Insurance companies may not be willing to compensate the victim or support the individual behind the accident. The opposition tries their best to negotiate an amount lower than the victim demands. A personal injury lawyer will know the appropriate amount to offer the defendant while incorporating strong arguments as per the law to substantiate the amount.
Relief From Emotional Turmoil
Fighting litigations on your own can act as a catalyst in building up more stress. The lawyer that one hires to settle the matter is accustomed to such situations. They will be prepared with necessary documents, such as medical reports and fitness certificates, to quicken the process and save the victim from more mental agony.
The benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer include the management and presentation of files and records that may go against the victim. The lawyer knows the ways through which such incidents of lowering the settlement can be prevented. If the settlement is not possible because of a deadlock between the two parties, a personal injury lawyer represents you in the court during the trial.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury LawyerIf you need a personal injury lawyer, or you think you might but are not sure, asking the right questions is important. While every case is different, there are some common questions to ask a personal injury lawyer, before you make a decision to hire them for representation in your case.
1. How much will I have to pay?Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, meaning they take their fee out of the amount the recover for you. But that is not always the case, so it is very important to ask about costs.
2. How long have you practiced in this area of law?While every attorney has to start somewhere, you generally want to choose an attorney with plenty of experience in personal injury litigation.
3. How is my case the same / different from past cases you have handled?A personal injury attorney who has handled cases similar to yours may be more successful in advocating for you and helping you receive fair compensation.
4. Do you have past client references and testimonials?What past clients have to say matters, when you are looking for a personal injury attorney you can trust and rely on to handle your case correctly.
5. What costs will I have if I lose?Whether you win or lose your case, there will be administrative costs that will need to be paid by you, out of pocket. It is important to know what these are.
6. What is my case really worth?Your attorney will not be able to give you a dollar figure, because estimating your case’s worth depends on a lot of factors. But you should be able to get a range in which your case’s compensation is likely to fall.
7. What happens if the case goes to trial?If your case goes to trial the contingency fee and other costs may rise. Be sure to ask about that before agreeing to take the case to the trial stage.
8. How long can I expect a resolution to take?Negotiations, especially for larger settlements, often take a long time. You may get a time estimate, but your attorney generally cannot give you a definitive answer on a timeline.
Why Cummings & Lewis?After identifying your reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer, choosing Cummings & Lewis means working with trusted professionals who have more than 50 years of combined legal experience. With years of trial experience and a proven track record, you can have peace of mind when working with us. We understand that you will have questions to ask a personal injury lawyer, and we will do our best to give you complete and accurate information. By contacting us for legal representation, you will receive personalized service from caring attorneys, whether your case is large or small. Reaching out to Cummings & Lewis is the first step toward peace of mind and a resolution to your personal injury case. Updated 4/22/2022
With 50+ years of combined legal experience, the attorneys at Cummings & Lewis, LLC represent people who need legal assistance. Our size, experience, and legal knowledge allow us to represent people who face all sorts of legal concerns in state and federal courts.